Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Insanity of recovery.

Dave's parents finally have power back (yeah) and so does most of the area. Despite the fact that some areas where I have students still don't have power, we are starting school again tomorrow. We had a "meeting" day today that basically consisted of lots of time with staff to decompress about what we've been through. I was so grateful to a principal who saw the need for that and didn't give us a lot to do.

Anyway . . . I'm kind of nervous to get students back. We discussed that we don't know what will be walking through the door tomorrow. Some kids have been babysitting the entire time. Some kids don't have homes anymore. Some kids may not have eaten since they left school almost 2 weeks ago. We're not teaching tomorrow but have activities planned where the kids can have some time to get back into the groove while having their own chance to decompress from their experiences over the past 2 weeks. At the end of next week I will be turning in pretty bogus grades because I haven't really had many academic assignments in class but we're not going to alter any schedules because there's really no way to make it all up and right now we are operating under the assumption that we will not have to make up the days lost. I hope we don't . . . .

In all of this I have found out that I am a pretty chill person. A lady I teach with is freaking out about how to fit in the stuff we missed and keeps bugging about what are we going to do. I'm not really that concerned. I'll figure it out as I go and I will find time to teach everything. What's the big deal? Maybe it's because I'm pretty good at altering my plans to go along with whatever happens (due to growing up in a large family) I don't really know but today I am grateful that I am kind of chill. I never thought that I was but I guess compared to some I am.

Thanks for keeping up with me. Check out my slideshow! I think if you click on it you'll be taken to the site and you can see that captions that explain them.

2 comments:

andreamichelle said...

I hope the children did not have too horrible of an experience and that they will be able to get past it. I can say "I'm sure they will" but you never know. I am not a chilled person, I stress unnecesarily for a while, and then I figure a way to make things work and it all turns out fine in the end and I always wonder why I got so worked up in the first place...
Anyways, cute wedding pictures! you are a cute couple. Some where in my packed boxes that are currently residing in my inlaws new shed is a photo album of wedding invite pictures I've recieved, and I always thought your picture was very cute. wow my response is almost longer than your post. I'll go now....

brandya said...

What a scary experience for all involved. You are such a caring, compassionate person that I know the children will flock to you for help and comfort. I also know you are very intuitive and the spirit will guide you in your teaching and what you need to cover. I am anxious to hear how things go for the children and you. Keep us posted. And btw...super cute pictures!! I don't think I remember the story of your engagement.