Monday, June 21, 2010

Strong boy



The day after Elijah was born he was laying on my chest in the hospital and he lifted his head turned it the other way and laid it back down. That was my first indication that I had a very strong boy.

The next evening when we brought him home from the hospital I did my first diaper change on the floor on a blanket. I have quite a bit of diaper changing experience but I was not prepared for my little boy to straighten out is legs as I was wiping him up and stiffen up his whole body so he was balancing on his head. Needless to say, diaper changing was a two person affair for the first little while until he got used to it.

When Elijah was 5 days old we went to our first pediatrician appointment. We were pleased that he had regained birth weight and laughed as he peed all over the scale and the wall next to the scale. It was quite amusing as Dave cupped his hands and put them in front of the stream to try to prevent the pee from going everywhere. The doctor came and checked him over and when she was holding him and checking him over she was like "Holy Cow he's strong." She let us know that we are NEVER to leave him unattended on anything. She even recommends that when we put him on the changing table that we buckle him on even though we are right there.

At his two week appointment a week later the doctor was checking him over again and put him on his tummy on the table and started saying "Oh my gosh, you should not be doing this." Then he rolled from front to back. I was dumb founded. He's definitely not a pro at it but he's rolled over twice more since then. The other good news was he's gaining weight very well. He had gained 9 ounces between his one week and 2 week appointments.

Elijah tends to eat in 4 hour increments and night which is great for me. After he eats and I change him I end up getting about 3 hours of sleep about twice in the night and about 2 hours around the same time. He's been doing this since birth so I really hope he keeps it up. The pediatrician said he should be able to go 5 hours once a night by the time he's 5 weeks, 6 at 6 weeks, and if we can keep that up we should be able to have our boy sleeping 8 hours a night at 8 weeks. Here's hoping it works that well.

That's about all for now. He's doing well, we're doing well although a bit bored at times when he's napping and when I can't nap. We're looking forward to him being more interactive. For now he sometimes stares at us when we talk to him and that's nice.

No comments: